Mesothelioma is a form of cancer caused by asbestos fibers. When these fibers become airborne, they can be inhaled and settled on the mesothelial tissues of a person’s internal body organs. Once in the body, they cause the DNA around the affected tissue to produce malignant cells, eventually becoming tumorous. Mesothelioma was first noticed in the early and mid-1900s when many blue-collar jobs and the asbestos processing industries were fully operational. On seeing the harmful effects of asbestos on workers’ health, the company never informed them about it since the businesses were thriving. When the results started manifesting on the workers, the companies rushed to courts and applied for bankruptcy to stop their prosecution. However, the courts ordered them to create trust funds to aid the victims and families of those affected. About thirty billion worth of trust funds has been put aside by asbestos processing companies to help such victims. Most of the mesothelioma lawsuit are settled without going to trial. Asbestos lawsuits have an average of about one to two million dollars in settlements.
There are two types of asbestos mesothelioma lawsuit which include;
Personal injury lawsuit: when the person living with mesothelioma conditions files a lawsuit on their own. They may be seeking compensation for the pain, suffering, and medical bills
Wrongful death lawsuit: The person of interest, such as family and friends, file for payment for having lost their loved one due to asbestos exposure. They may need compensation to pay burial expenses and medical expenses that had acuminated medical bills.
To have the best outcome out in such a lawsuit, you need to get a mesothelioma lawyer. Going to represent yourself given your medical condition may not be such a good idea because of the following reasons;
- When diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, time becomes very precious, and you need all you can get and spend with close friends and family. Obtaining a lawyer will give you all the time you need with people close to you and focus all your attention on your health.
- Asbestos mesothelioma lawyers are committed to helping victims of this condition, and most of the time, they are not in it for money. Moreover, most firms do not charge consultation fees for their clients. They are empathetic and very compassionate.
- With years of experience in this field, a lawyer already knows the amount of compensation you are entitled to depending on available evidence. With thin kind of advantage, they can advise you on whether you should move to trial or settle for an offer by the company.
- It is nearly impossible to gather all the necessary documents and evidence on your own in such a lawsuit, given your medical status. You need a legal representative to help you out.
- You may not be aware of which company to sue or if the company has set aside trust funds for the victims or not. A lawyer will do a thorough investigation and ensure you are not frustrated but get compensated by the right company with the proper trust fund.
Having a lawyer will guaranty the best outcome since most of these lawsuits are uncontested.